About the Green Socialist Organizing Project
Formed after the 2020 Presidential campaign of Howie Hawkins and Angela Walker, the Green Socialist Organizing Project seeks to continue the work of the campaign and organize and fight for real solutions to the life-or-death issues of climate, poverty, racism, and nuclear war for which the two-capitalist-party system of corporate rule has no solutions. We are running out of time on these issues. Real solutions can’t wait.
We will not be waiting for future elections to mobilize support for our demands. We will be educating the public, building coalitions, and mobilizing actions to advance our program.
To advance this program, we need more than single-issue organizations and campaigns that compete with each other for attention, time, and money. We need to build a political party that brings issues and constituencies around a common program and mutual support.
Building that party must become a common effort of Green and other independent socialist and progressive parties and groups who want a united mass party of the working people and all who love peace, justice, freedom, and the environment.
Uniting the existing independent left is not enough. We must organize into the party of the people who now vote in low numbers because they feel the two corporate parties don’t represent them. These people are disproportionately working class, people of color, and young. They are the future mass base of an independent party of the green and socialist left.
The path forward to becoming a major party in US politics is from the bottom up. We must build a mass-membership party rooted in strong local chapters that can elect thousands to local office and, on that foundation, to state legislatures and the House as we go into the 2020s.
What We Believe
1. Ecological Socialism: We support social ownership and democratic administration of the major means of production and distribution in order to meet everyone’s basic needs within ecological limits.
2. Anti-Capitalism: We oppose capitalism because it is a system that is structurally driven to
ecologically destructive endless growth, increasing inequality based on exploitation, wars bred by international competition, and oligarchic rule based on concentrated private wealth.
3. Anti-Oppression: We oppose discrimination and oppression based on race, color, nationality,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, or disability.
4. Internationalism: We oppose imperialist domination and wars by the US and any nation and act in solidarity with people fighting for their democratic rights and socialism across the world.
5. Independent Politics: We support building a dues-paying mass-membership party for green socialism based on oppressed and exploited working people that is independent of and in opposition to the two-corporate-party system of capitalist rule in the US.
What We Do
1. Party Building: We help build independent, well-organized local and state green socialist parties.
2. Election Campaigns: We help green socialist candidates run credible and, where possible, winning electoral campaigns.
3. Issue Campaigns: We participate in campaigns to advance green socialist policies.
4. Political Education: We produce materials and hold forums for popular political education on ecosocialism, independent politics, policy issues, and organizing skills and strategies.
5. Mass-Membership Green Party: We support transforming the Green Party of the United States from a federation of state parties with indirect representation of individual supporters in the national party into a dues-paying, mass-membership party where individual members have democratic membership rights in the national party and have the responsibility to support the party with dues scaled to their ability to pay.